Tuesday, October 13, 2009

G-20, You Have Commandeered My Life

Ever since the summit and my arrest, my life has been entirely consumed by working for G-20 justice.
Now, if this just took up my time, that'd be one thing.
But it also has taken the wheel of my mind, and every other responsibility and thought has taken backseat. This includes old friends (fellow G-20 activists are pretty much the only people I see now, which is cool, because I really like all of them), homework, and sadly, cooking.
Every time I find myself trying to study or read, my thoughts stray and next thing I know, I'm checking the news and/or calling up Nicole or Keith or JJ or Matthew to hang out. I can't concentrate on any of my work because it's like (and this is going to sound cheesy, but it's true) my heart and my mind are stretching out towards all of these new people and towards this greater cause and I just feel such love for them that I can't concentrate on the task at hand. This works like blinders, so that I can't see any other aspect of my life. Out of sight, out of mind.
How does this relate to my food blog? When every attempt to do homework is thwarted by overwhelming affection, work doesn't get done. And when work doesn't get done, I have a lot of work to do. And when I have a lot of work to do, I have no free time. And to cook, I need free time.
I don't remember the last time I went out to eat this much. Dinner usually consists either of Sushi Boat if I'm in South Oakland or a slice of bread and cheese with an apple if I'm at home. Two days ago was the first time I had actually made myself dinner in like 5 days.
Ah, the unmeasured effects of the summit, of my newly one-track mind.

3 comments:

  1. hi anna. its nicole. i have so many similar feelings towards the situation. maybe that explains why i keep finding myself asleep on your couch. thanks for offering me an egg. hope your day goes well and the public defender is kind and says boo to the excessive police force and presence. love, neb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah girl I'm glad you enjoyed the egg & feta souffle. Breakfast is the one meal that remains unhindered by the rest of my kidnapped life. I think that's because by that time, I haven't yet had a chance to get tired and/or get overwhelmed by all the work I have to do. Plus a tasty breakfast gives me a happy start to the day.
    And you're welcome to crash on my couch any time you wish. With how often it's been happening lately, maybe we should get you a toothbrush haha :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that some people out there are still about the injustice that happened in Oakland a few weeks ago. It seemed like big news the week it happened, but now it's just another old news story.

    As the cold weather moves into town, it seems like peoples quest for social justice has frozen.

    Maybe it needs some rubber bullets to chip away at the ice....

    ReplyDelete